The American Heart Association is an organization dedicated to the research and cure of heart disease and/or heart problems in its many variations. Heart disease is stated to be the number one killer among women and a prominent killer of men as well. AHA has also designated the month of February as Healthy Heart awareness month. Let’s do our part by teaching our students early on the importance of a healthy heart. On Friday, Feb. 4, 2011, let’s “Go Red with FCCLA”. Following are some activities to do either with your FCCLA members and/or class. You can even make this a school wide event.
- Encourage all members, students, and faculty to wear red.
- Have a heart healthy foods lab and show your students that they can have a healthy heart and eat dessert too with the following recipes! Heart Healthy Recipes
- Have students create heart healthy pamphlets and/or powerpoint presentations talking about the prevention of heart disease, treatment, how is it diagnosed, heart healthy recipes, the benefits of exercising for the heart, and more.
- Create heart healthy posters to display around the school.
- Go Red Bake Sale with heart shaped foods and some heart healthy recipes as well.
- Donate all funds to the American Heart Association.\
Go Red Bake Sale Ideas
- Strawberry shortcake
- Red velvet cake
- Red candy apples
- Strawberry cheesecake
- M & M cookies with the red and pink M & Ms
- Cranberry oatmeal cookies
- Heart shaped low fat brownies
- Heart shaped rice crispy treats
Check out the following link for more information on AHA!